A teenager accused of plotting mass murder has been arrested in Adelaide’s central business district

An Adelaide teenager charged with conspiracy to commit mass murder was allegedly caught near Rundle Mall armed with weapons including a Molotov cocktail.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, appeared in the Adelaide Youth Court charged with possessing an object with intent to kill or cause harm.

Magistrate Ted Juliano said the boy faces serious charges and poses a serious risk to society.

Court documents allege the boy had components and fuel to make a Molotov cocktail, as well as knives and scissors with the intent to kill people the end of last week.

He was detained by counter-terrorism and security police near Rundle Mall shortly after midnight on January 20 as he allegedly searched for an industrial container which he could set alight in order to divert emergency response teams as he attacked the target location from a Molotov cocktail.

He is charged with possession of an object with intent to kill or cause harm.

“The defendant stated that if he was not apprehended by the police, he had every intention of committing the assault,” court documents state.

The documents also state that the accused told police that his plans included setting fire to an occupied shop or nightclub with the intention of killing 25 people before taking his own life to gain “notoriety”.

“The accused traveled by bus and tram to Glenelg but a suitable high density location was not selected,” the documents said.

“The accused was traveling from Glenelg to the town.”

According to the documents, the boy, who is in the care of the Department of Child Protection, told a youth worker the night before that he was “going out and ‘killing so many people I’m going to be on the news tomorrow.’

The youth worker then reported the boy missing.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared in the Adelaide Youth Court.(ABC News: Michael Clements)

Court documents also state that he was arrested just after midnight by STAR operations, with police seizing a diary detailing plans for a mass murder.

Police say the boy also had a white t-shirt with “NATURAL SELECTION” handwritten on it, multiple notebooks containing drafts of his plan to kill as many people as possible – saying it would be more than the Columbine High School massacre .

According to the documents, the boy told police in his interview that he identified himself as one of the Columbine school shooters and had a “similar perspective,” even engraving that shooter’s name on his knives.

He also allegedly attempted to obtain a gun and ammunition, and court documents state that a diary indicated that he would obtain them in the next few days.

The teenager allegedly told police he had been practicing, filming and conducting research on the effectiveness of his Molotov cocktails.

Police expect to lay additional charges after the teenager’s digital devices are analyzed.

The court heard on Wednesday that a risk assessment had not yet been carried out by the fixed risk assessment team – a counter-terrorism team – and the boy was yet to be assessed by a psychiatrist.

He was remanded in youth custody to face court again in March.

SA Police said there were no longer any “public safety concerns” following the boy’s arrest last Friday and that investigations were ongoing.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *